About the Enterprise Zone
The Enviro-tech Enterprise Zone is a multi-site zone for west Hertfordshire. It covers major sites at Maylands Business Park, east of Hemel Hempstead, underused land and buildings at Building Research Establishment (BRE) and Rothamsted Research.
Later two further sites can come forward: land owned by Dacorum Borough Council, west of Green Lane, and potentially Crown land, near Maylands, subject to the St Albans Strategic Local Plan process.
• to create an internationally recognised employment zone focusing on the emerging enviro-tech sector;
• to support business start-up; attracting new overseas and UK investors and secure crucial expansion space for growing businesses;
• to bring forward undeveloped land which would not otherwise be brought into supply due to significant infrastructure costs.
In line with Hertfordshire LEP's Strategic Economic Plan the Zone will:
• Harness our relationship with London and elsewhere
It benefits from direct access to the M1, with easy links to London, the wider South East and the Midlands and provides a gateway to the UK economy.
• Maintain global excellence in science and technology
The EZ sits at the heart of the Golden Research Triangle (Cambridge-London-Oxford) so attracts inward investment and supports businesses seeking expansion space from restrained sites within Greater London. It will harness the expertise of partnership organisation, The Green Triangle (BRE, Rothamsted Research and the University of Hertfordshire) to establish Hertfordshire as a globally renowned centre of excellence in green technology.
• Provide the foundations for growth
It will strengthen existing links with key sector employers and the Green Triangle Partners will be catalysts for the formation of new enviro-tech firms/business start-ups.
Preparatory work started in April 2016, with sites expected to become available from April 2017.