Stevenage First is a partnership including the Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), Stevenage Borough Council, Hertfordshire County Council and Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce.
This partnership has jointly created an ambitious framework to reinvigorate the centre of Stevenage.
Stevenage First’s vision is to deliver regeneration and growth within Stevenage over the next 20 years:
• There is energy, confidence and determination for growth and change across Stevenage. The positive results of these ambitious plans can be seen today.
• What is good for Stevenage is good for Hertfordshire, the South East and the UK economy.
• We are 100% committed to delivering lasting regeneration across the partnership, and working together to secure investment and real change.
• Stevenage is in the heart of a growth area, where it can reap the benefits of cutting edge industries, a rising economy and new development, making it a great place to live, work and do business.
• Stevenage is pioneering innovation in science, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and space exploration, with world leading organisations and new start-ups delivering major breakthroughs.
“Our strength lies in our unity. Working together we can achieve more and Stevenage will be better for it. We know that regeneration won’t happen overnight. Stevenage First is committed to maximising the potential of Stevenage and delivering for its current and future residents and businesses.”
This is the first time Stevenage regeneration has been brought together at a borough and county level with the business community. We are building on previous regeneration, with all partners unified in their vision for the town. What is good for Stevenage is good for Hertfordshire and the South East as a whole.
Stevenage First is reinforced by the shared commitment of each of its partners. Their scope includes:
• Hertfordshire LEP works with partners to increase the economic prosperity of Hertfordshire
• Stevenage Borough Council provides more than 120 services to 85,500 residents
• Hertfordshire County Council is working with partners to secure the resources for critical infrastructure to underpin growth and regeneration in Stevenage
• Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce has more than 1,000 members across the county and is the voice of business.
Our work to date
In July 2015 Stevenage First launched the Stevenage Central Framework. This outlines the exciting opportunities which will be used as the basis to drive forward town centre regeneration.
Since then Stevenage First has been busy developing the detail behind the framework, commissioning studies into transport, infrastructure and other areas. These will be the catalyst for future private and public sector investment in order to deliver new housing, shops, restaurants and leisure facilities. At its core is the redevelopment of the railway station which acts as the town’s gateway and will be a critical enabler for wider regeneration.
The communities and businesses of Stevenage remain fundamental as we move forward with our regeneration. A new advisory board of local businesses and wider expertise will be established to secure the involvement of these groups in future work.
“There is a palpable energy, confidence and determination from businesses, residents and the wider community for growth and change across Stevenage – and the time for change is now. Stevenage First partners are working hard to realise this vision.”
Andrew Percival, Chair of Stevenage First
In the coming months, Stevenage First will be able to share exciting progress including:
• Publish the results of major transport and infrastructure studies;
• Release a new masterplan on station redevelopment;
• Establishing an advisory board to ensure that local businesses travel through the regeneration with us.