Completely new business - HELP!


Starting a new business is exciting but also can be a little daunting.

For example, you’ve always loved cooking and chatting with people and so you’ve decided to take the brave step of opening a café. Great! You’ve found a property that you can rent, you know some people who will want to work for you and you know what you will want to serve.

But wait!


Did you know you may need:

   - A licence to serve food
   - Food hygiene training
   - Health and safety training
   - A licence to put standing advert signs on the pavement
   - A licence to have chairs and tables on the pavement
   - Pay business rates
   - To complete yearly tax returns
   - Have a contract with your employees
   - Fire risk assessment

But don’t worry – your local District and County Council deal with all of this on a daily basis and they want to help you succeed! If in doubt Talk to Reg

Regardless of what your business is, any new business needs to:

  • Register your business with your District Council and set up Business Rates payments
  • Contact your District Council to find out what regulation(s) applies to you (perhaps registering or getting a licence)
  • Arrange for waste to be collected
  • Complete a fire risk assessment
  • Speak to HMRC about how and when to do your tax returns
  • Register your company with Companies house



What might seem confusing to you is something that the local Council will deal with regularly, so if in doubt – Talk to Reg.