Here, you will find information about HMRC & Business Rates.



Who are HMRC?

HMRC are the UK’s tax authority and so almost every UK business is a direct customer of HMRC.

When would I need to speak to HMRC?

You will need to speak to HMRC when you start your own business, once you have products to sell or you are actively marketing your business. You should register your business with HMRC. Check out their website for advice and more information.

Useful links:

Business rates


Business rates are taxes to help pay for local services. They’re charged on most non-domestic properties (including commercial), e.g. shops, offices, pubs, warehouses and factories

You’ll probably have to pay business rates if you use a building or part of a building for non-domestic purposes. You may also need to pay business rates if the property is currently empty,

Talk to Reg to find out who is responsible for billing and collecting business rates.

Other things to consider...


Bidding for Local Authority Contracts

As a business you can ‘bid’ for contracts with various organisations, both public and private. Supply Hertfordshire has been set up as a tool to be used for all businesses who wish to be a supplier to public sector organisations within Hertfordshire. Register to be a supplier here.



What might seem confusing to you is something that the local Council will deal with regularly, so if in doubt – Talk to Reg.