People and Employment




ACAS are funded by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), but are a non-departmental body, governed by an independent Council. This allows them to be independent, impartial and confidential.

Founded in 1975, they have over 30 years' experience of working with people in organisations of every size and type. Whether you're an employer or an employee, you can get free advice from ACAS by calling their confidential telephone helpline (08457 474747). They also offer more specialised services, including training, workplace projects, conciliation and mediation.

Hertfordshire is within the East of England branch of ACAS. Click here for a link to their website.



HMRC are the UK’s tax authority and so almost every UK business is a direct customer of HMRC.

You will need to speak to HMRC when you start your own business, once you have products to sell or you are actively marketing your business. You should register your business with HMRC.

HMRC can help you find out if a potential employee has the right to work in the UK and what documents employers should check. Click here for more information.

Also, they can help you with becoming an employer. Click here to find out more.

Compulsory Recruitment Checks


Check a job applicant's 'right to work' documents

You must check that a job applicant is allowed to work for you in the UK before you employ them.

  • You must see the worker’s original documents.
  • You must check that the documents are valid with the worker present.
  • You must make and keep copies of the documents and record the date you made the check.

You could face a civil penalty if you employ an illegal worker and haven’t carried out a correct right to work check.

You must not discriminate against anyone because of their race.

Detailed advice for employers about document checks is available from the Home Office.

Click here for links for information on hiring staff, including job descriptions, equal oppurtunities and pre-employment checks.



What might seem confusing to you is something that the local Council will deal with regularly, so if in doubt – Talk to Reg.