We are delighted to announce that Hertfordshire LEP Skills & Employment Board members Anna-Marie Morrison and Catherine Strachan have been recognised in the Queen’s Birthday Honours 2019.
The Honours recognise the achievements of a wide range of extraordinary people across the United Kingdom, chosen for their efforts to improve the social mobility of those from underprivileged backgrounds – whether through providing care, education or innovative business and employment support.
Anna-Marie Morrison, Director of Amazing Apprenticeships, was awarded a CBE for services to apprenticeships. Anna has played an instrumental role in the campaign to change public perception of apprenticeships, working closely with Government and approximately 4000 schools across the county including those within the Hertfordshire LEP area.
Catherine Strachan, HR Manager – Learning & Development at MBDA, was awarded an MBE for services to career development and young people. Cathy has worked at MBDA for over 20 years and runs the firm's multi-award winning apprenticeship and graduate programme.
Norman Jennings, Operations Director at Hertfordshire LEP, said: “We offer our heartiest congratulations to Anna Morrison and Cathy Strachan on receiving these significant and very well deserved personal accolades. We are delighted to have leaders of such high calibre on our Skills & Employment Programme Board, helping shape Hertfordshire’s skills agenda and driving forward positive action to benefit young people and employers.”
Also honoured was Dr. Bharat Shah, Co-founder and Managing Director of Sigma Pharmaceuticals, who was awarded a CBE for services to business, economic growth, exporting, the independent pharmacy sector and philanthropy. Described as an ‘elder statesman for pharmacy’, Dr. Shah has played an integral role in raising standards and campaigning on behalf of the sector.
Sigma won the judges' choice 'Business of the Year' category at the biz4Biz Awards 2019, which Hertfordshire LEP helped judge.
Adrian Hawkins, Deputy Chair, Hertfordshire LEP and Chairman of biz4Biz, said: “We extend our sincere congratulations to Dr. Bharat Shah on receiving this honour in recognition of his lifelong work to support the pharma sector. Sigma Pharmaceuticals, co-founded by Dr. Shah, employs over 400 people at its facility in Watford and makes a significant contribution to the local economy. It is fantastic to see Hertfordshire business leaders gain recognition on a national scale for the valuable work they are doing.”
The full list of Hertfordshire winners include:
- Gary Lewitt - Head of Resources, Defence Intelligence. For services to Defence. (Hertfordshire)
- Anna-Marie Morrison - Director, Amazing Apprenticeships. For services to Apprenticeships. (Hitchin, Hertfordshire)
- Lesley Prisk - Lately Chief Executive, The Pensions Regulator. For services to Pensions Regulation. (Hertfordshire)
- Margaret Berry - Executive Director for Europe, WEConnect International and Founder, Women in Technology Network. For services to Women in Business and Technology. (Hitchin, Hertfordshire)
- Qadeer Kiani - Chair, Arhag Housing Association. For services to Migrants and Refugees. (St Albans, Hertfordshire)
- Nicholas Moss JP - Magistrate and Bench Chair, North and East Hertfordshire Bench. For services to the Administration of Justice. (Hertfordshire)
- Robert Pepper MBE - For services to Music. (Harpenden, Hertfordshire)
- Reena Ahuja - Founder and Chair, Women Empowered. For services to BAME Women. (Moor Park, Hertfordshire)
- Veronica Adlam - Health and Safety Manager, Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service. For services to Firefighter Safety
- Kenneth Brown - For services to Sport and Broadcasting. (Harpenden, Hertfordshire)
- Dr Gulbash Singh Chandok - Senior Partner, Guru Nanak Medical Centre. For services to General Practice. (Moor Park, Hertfordshire)
- Jacqueline Clarke - Executive Assistant, Ministry of Defence. For services to Defence. (Hertfordshire)
- Michael Flavin - Review Team Manager. Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Joint Protective Services Major Crime Unit. For services to Policing. (Hertfordshire)
- Georgios Meliniotis - Physics Teacher, the Meridian School, Royston, Hertfordshire. For services to Education.
- Christopher Ramsey - For services to Football and Diversity in Sport. (Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire)
- Sarabjit Kaur Sahota - For services to Education. (Hitchin, Hertfordshire)
- Catherine Strachan - Learning and Development Manager, MBDA UK Ltd. For services to Career Development and to Young People. (Welwyn, Hertfordshire)
- Gillian Taylor - Macmillan Nurse Consultant, London North West Healthcare NHS Trust. For services to Colorectal Cancer Nursing. (St Albans, Hertfordshire)
- Andrew Bignell - For services to Public Libraries. (St Albans, Hertfordshire)
- Maureen Bruce - For services to Young People and the community in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire. (Cheshunt, Hertfordshire)
- Andrew Roby - For services to Reducing Deforestation. (Watford, Hertfordshire)
- Brian Waters - For services to the community in Preston, Hertfordshire. (Hitchin, Hertfordshire)